Image viaOne of the most common mistakes I see people make when it comes to their skin is popping a zit (lets call it what it is) incorrectly.
By incorrectly extracting a blemish you can push the sebum and bacteria deeper into your skin causing one giant zit and infection. You also run the risk of spreading the bacteria to the surrounding areas.
How to correctly extract a blemish:
- Always make sure your hands and skin are clean before you start.
- It is best to extract a blemish after a shower or after you have steamed your face. Steam and warm water helps to open your pores, making the extraction easier.
- Wrap your pointer fingers in tissue paper and gently press down and up into the blemish.
- Use a slight wiggle back and fourth motion while applying pressure.
- DO NOT squeeze the blemish straight on or use your nails to try to extract it, this will only irritate your skin and will not remove the built up sebum.
- If your blemish is ready to be extracted, it should come out without a fight. If it is not ready do not force it. Leave it be until it is.
- After your extractions, apply a topical agent such as tea tree oil to help speed up the healing and close the pore.
I also do not suggest using a comedone extractor unless you REALLY know what you are doing. This can cause scarring and damage if done incorrectly.
Hope this little tip helps the next time you are faced with an unwelcome friend!