Well since my Dr. put my on a pretty strict low carb diet to help control my blood sugars during pregnancy I decided to just peak through my old dusty cookbook. I found a ton of GEMS, including this delicious apple fritter recipe! Since I am a huge fan of apple treats/desserts (like this recipe) I decided to give this a shot...no diabetic pun intended. Haha I crack myself up.
What you will need:
- 2 medium apples
- 2/3 cup of all- purpose or wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon of powdered sugar (plus extra for sprinkling on top)
- 1/2 teaspoon finely shredded lemon peel
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 milk
- 1 teaspoon of shortening or oil for deep frying
- Core apples and cut into rings. In a medium bowl combine flour, 1 tablespoon of powdered sugar, lemon peel and baking powder.
- In a separate bowl combine egg, milk and 1 teaspoon of cooking oil. Add the egg mixture to flour mixture and blend together.
- Dip apples rings into batter. Drain off excess. Fry fritters, 3 at a time in a hot pan with shorting or frying oil. Fry for about 2 minutes each side, until golden brown. Drain on paper towels and sprinkle with powdered sugar.
I used my nifty little tea infuser to get the perfect amount of powdered sugar "sprinkle" onto each fritter.
SO delicious! A perfect little Christmas-y treat! I take back what I said about my diabetic cookbook being lame :)