So how are these "cheesy" but dairy free you may be wondering? No I did not use fake or imitation cheese (yucky). I used nutritional yeast, which is a healthy alternative to cheese that has a delicious nutty cheese flavor that will blow your mind, cheese lover or not. These are by far my favorite munchy crunchy salty snack. Sounds crazy but two heads of cauliflower is almost not enough, at least it wasn't for Max and I. These are a spin off of these cauliflower poppers that I posted about a while back but with a little bit more attitude and flavor.
What you will need:
- 2 heads of cauliflower
- 1/4 cup of olive oil
- 1 tsp of garlic salt
- 1/2 cup of nutritional yeast. *You can add a little more if you want them extra "cheesy"
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Wash and clean the cauliflower. Cut off and discard the stem. Cut the cauliflower up into small pieces.
- In a large bowl, combine the olive oil, garlic salt and nutritional yeast. Add the cauliflower pieces and thoroughly coat each piece.
- Place cauliflower pieces onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. If you want to add a little more "cheese" sprinkle it on top at this time. Bake for one hour and turn 3 times during cooking until each piece has a nice brown coloring. The browner and more caramelized they are the better.
- Remove from oven and enjoy!
*Carb count for one batch (one head) of "cheesy" baked cauliflower poppers is 16 grams.