I recently heard about Milk of Magnesia as a topical mask from a fellow esthetician friend of mine. She has beautiful skin and told me she used it when pregnant to help reduce the extra oil and congestion she was having. I am having the same issues so I rushed to Target to pick up a little bottle. This has been a serious skin saver...not only on my face but I have been applying it on these annoying little bumps on my arms that I only get while pregnant and it has been drying and clearing them up!
What is Milk of Magnesia: It is a liquid saline laxative. When taken orally it works by drawing water out of the colon.
How it benefits oily skin: It works the same way as a clay mask and draws out excess oil of the skin. Milk of Magnesia is a little bit more gentle than clay and a great option if you are more on the sensitive side.
DIY Milk of Magnesium Mask:
- Shake bottle before starting to make sure all of the active ingredients are mixed together.
- Pour about 1 tbs of Milk of Magnesia into a small container.
- Apply to face (chest or back) with a cotton pad or a facial brush.
- Leave on for 20 minutes and remove using lukewarm water and a soft washcloth.
- Make sure you follow up with a light moisturizer.
*This mask is only recommend for oily/acneic skin. Do not use if you have dry skin.
You can find Milk of Magnesia at your local drug store. I only recommend using the original non-flavored formula.
Depending on how oily your skin is you can do this 1-4 times per week.